Friday, October 13, 2006

Day Three - The Violin Arrives & the bridge is set.

Lo and behold, Parcelforce did not let me down with their speedy delivery policy. By the time I had returned from campus this morning my Violin had already been delivered and signed for. Without further ago, I eagerly tore open the packaging to spy my beautiful instrument inside!

I spent the evening slightly bewildered. This was the first time that I had ever seen a violin up-close - infact, it was probably the first time that I'd ever touched a stringed instrument other than the odd guitar. Even so, I set about trying to figure out this rather strange piece of wood, which I believe they call... The Bridge.

Violin Bridge
After reassuring myself that this wasn't part of a ship from Star Trek, I set about putting it into place. Following a bit of logic, and a tiny bit of help from some data at Wikipedia, I matched the bridge up quite nicely; the lower part of the bridge by the tiny string (and the higher part by the fat string), as well as making it stand perpendicular to the body, in line with the little notches that cut up the inside of the "f" holes in the body.

Fantastic - that's definitely enough for today. Tomorrow, I endeavour to figure out these strings, get them in tune, and try to figure out just what I'm supposed to do with the block of resin type material (cunningly called... rosin).

No comments: