Saturday, October 21, 2006

Day 11 - Music III - Counting, Sharps & Bits

Day Eleven is here, and I've almost caught up with the backlog of my quest that I need to log in this journal - a journal that could easily be compared to that of Mr Bilbo Baggins of The Shire. And so, I present to you the Third and final part of the great Trilogy about reading music.

Now, it's hard to get across this point, but it's definitely worth a note that I found it quite useful just to sit back and think a little bit about timing. Now, it might sound obvious, but in considering the 4/4 timing, I had a look at Beathoven's Ode to Joy;


I found it worth just counting through this tune taking special notice of the end of each line. A dot after a note-head indicates that the time-value of the note is increased by half (to 150%). So, there's a 'quarter-and-a-half-measure' note, an eigth-measure note and a half-measure note. If you'd like to listen, have a go with the Midi which I've made available (Ode to Joy Midi - 2Kb). If you'd prefer, you can enjoy The Crazy Version of Ode to Joy Midi.

Next we come onto sharps and flats. Certain notes can be modified to 'step up' half a note, or 'step down' half a note. And so, a C-Sharp (C#) would be half way between a C and a D. A B-Flat (Bb) is half way between a B and an A. These symbols appear before the note-head to be played, but sometimes appear at the start of the line (in the Key Signature) which means that every note on the part of the staff marked by the modification is played sharp or flat, unless especially marked (with a Natural/Accidental symbol). Example;


Finally, a few more useful points I should like to remember. The dots on the example above indicate that this piece of music should be repeated twice. Also, the 'c' sign in the Key Signature is another way of writing 4/4 (it's that common). Finally, notes with a curved line over/under them should flow apparently. Interesting.

That concludes everything I could ever possibly want to know about music, apart from a couple of really important facts that I've overlooked I'm sure. Well, tomorrow should be fun - I get reunited with my squeeky friend; *Evil Laugh echos off into the credits.*

No comments: